COVID-19 is not only bringing us a totally different living way, it also brings many people “Maskne”, i.e. mask acne. Maskne is the acne on face when you wear mask all day long, it is such a terrible disaster for those who suffer. Thus, let’s discuss how to prevent Maskne effectively.
The main reason of maskne is bacteria stimulated underneath the mask with humid environment inside. Of course, sometimes it may also due to the quality of the mask which hurt the surface of skin.
1. Cleanse your face deeply
Mask covers face in such a long time, it leads to stimulate the bacteria badly. Thus, it is a MUST to cleanse the face in the morning, after wearing mask and before bed.
Generally, I would recommend the cleansing format to prevent maskne:
- in the morning – use cleansing milk/cream + cleansing foam/gel : cleansing milk/cream helps to soften your skin in the morning and remove impurities; cleansing foam/gel helps get rid of excess oil. For those who is super dry skin, just skip the cleansing foam/gel.
- after wearing mask – just lukewarm water : to remove excess oil, avoid to wash so hard as too frequently wash face will make your face even dryer and cause breakouts again.
- before bed – use cleansing foam/gel/ + cleansing milk/cream + deep clean face mask (2-3 times per week) : cleansing milk/cream helps to remove your make up and impurities; cleansing foam/gel helps get rid of excess oil. For those who is super dry skin, use cleansing foam is better.
To learn more details, you can refer to my previous post “4 Must Buy Acne Skin Cleanser Buying Guides“. It should be the most important factor to prevent maskne.
2. Skip the make up when wearing mask
Make up cause to clog pores and sometimes irritates skin. Together with dozen of bacteria generating under such humid environment, make up should be skipped if it is not necessarily. However, in some circumstances, make up is necessary, you should choose the product stated “non-comedogenic” or “won’t clog pores”.
To learn more details, you can refer to my previous post “Buying Guides – Make up for Acne Skin“.
3. Avoid to try new skincare
Skin trends to more sensitive when frequently wearing mask. To avoid maskne, void to try new skincare may irritate your skin. It would be a serious problem when your skin irritated and you need to wear face mask covers on it.
4. Avoid using harsh skincare
As stated, skin may becomes sensitivity when frequently wearing mask. Some harsh skincare carries ingredients like retinoid, salicylic acid , and some other chemicals for exfoliate or peel. These ingredients will likely turn your face red, itchy or even inflammation. Thus, you should stop using such kind of skincare to prevent maskne.
5. Wear the right mask
To choose a snug, comfortable fit mask also helps to reduce maskne. Firstly, you should pick the mask which the size fits your face. It cannot be too tight or too loose. If size is not match, your hand may always touch your mask to fix it up, then germs will come to your face. Secondly, you should pick the good quality face mask. If it is the single use medical mask, the material should be breathable. If the mask is made with cloth, the fabric is better to made with cotton as it is softer.
For more tips on selecting a face mask to prevent the spread of COVID-19, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention at CDC.gov/coronavirus.
6. Take 15 minutes break for every 4 hours
Take off your mask (in a safe place) to let your skin take a rest. This is recommended by health care workers on the frontlines of the coronavirus pandemic. They found out that take a mask break is good for maskne.
7. Wash your cloth mask
You should wash cloth mask after each use, it helps to remove oils, sweat and skin cells leave on the mask. I will always use single use medical mask when I plan to wear it for longer time a day.